Thursday, November 13, 2008

It Takes a Certain Kind....

....of personality that is. Or at least someone who can play the part. In this business (look at me - I said that as if flipping is my "business" - how cute!), everyone is out to get the most money they can for the least amount of effort and if you're not tough, they'll try to screw you over. I learned this lesson today as I had to put on my big girl pants and get a little mean.

I'm so not a hard person to deal with (am I?) and I'm super nice normally. I talk to our workers and today I had even taken them a couple dozen cookies from a bakery I had gone to. I'm pretty sure they like me, but they still try to get by with stuff.

I spent two hours today (that sounds totally ignorant now, but trust me) tracking down the soap ledges for the showers. The kind of ledges that are tiled over so they match your shower. My "guy" told me they would be at Lowe's or Home Depot, either one. Strike one. Strike two.

Next I followed the tip of the (seemingly quite knowledgeable) man from Lowe's and went to the big plumbing supply place. In retrospect, I should have called first to check, but I was quite sure they would have it. They didn't. Strike three.

At this point, I called our "guy" and asked him where in the world I was supposed to find this thing. He was no help. Grrrr...

The man at the plumbing place suggested somewhere else he was quite positive would have them. Thankfully, he was right and I left that store with my ledges in hand.

I delivered the ledges to the Piece and went on to the granite warehouse where I received a call from our "guy". He said those weren't the kind of ledges he needed and this kind was going to take much longer to put in and cost way more labor. According to him, he and John had never discussed using these and now the dura-rock was already put in and he didn't want to have to tear it out. I kindly told him that was indeed the kind he told me to get and that I had spent TWO hours to find those ledges and that was the kind he needed to put in. I ended up going to the Piece in person and, well, let's just say that I will have my ledges.

I don't enjoy being mean, but I can put it on. So in an effort to finish this house before the 30 year mortgage is up, I'm going to start wearing my mean pants. Well, maybe. I'll try anyway. I'm just such a nice person. Sigh......