Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Time Spent Thinking Instead of Working

If you've ever been shopping with multiple kids, then you know how hard it can be to make decisions (good ones anyway) when you are simultaneously feeding someone goldfish and wiping something brown from someone else's hands that you can only hope is chocolate.

So while I like to busy myself painting or working at our house while all kids are in school on Tuesdays and Thursdays, today I found it much more necessary to stroll through Lowe's thinking and choosing and comparing. And then on to another place.

While I did make some progress, in some ways I was even more overwhelmed when I left. I've learned that I have a difficult time seeing things in my head beforehand. For instance, the shower tiles. I can't design these things in my head - I really need to have a great big play shower that is magnetic and I can walk in and arrange and rearrange all the tiles (which would have to have magnets stuck to their backs) to my little heart's content. Whatever home improvement store implements that idea first is going to make a lot of money. Seriously.

Anyway, as I left I was in a give-up kind of mood. I was tired and obviously not too good at all this picking stuff out business. I prayed that God would send me to the right place and to the right people to help me figure things out.

Next thing I know, I had the good sense to call our cabinet maker to help us with our fireplace. (It is apparently much too large for any stock or even special order mantle.) He's coming over tomorrow to help me design something!

Then, I remembered a small place called Decorator's Outlet that I had driven by a million times but never thought about. I went in and there were two awesome women who helped me pick and choose from so many beautiful tiles and stones. I think we came up with a beautiful design - time will tell. =)

So, although I didn't get any work done at the house, I got a lot accomplished just by clearing my head and figuring things out. Now I guess I'm going to go catch up on some physical work while the kids snooze away. (Which is something to be thankful for after this.)