Wednesday, December 10, 2008

a VERY helpful hint I wish I had known before....

I stained cabinets for the first time tonight. I've been dreading this task because I was terrified of messing these custom made beauties up. The blood was flowing through my veins pretty fast when I sat down in the bathroom to get started (staining that is). I thought about it, I prayed about it, and I repositioned myself a half a dozen times. Finally, when I could put it off no longer, I began.

One rule to remember, which I knew, is to always start your staining job at the back of the cabinet. The reasoning for this is just less mess as you lean in. I did a great job following this rule.

Another rule to remember is to never stir your stain midway through your project. This could result in an uneven finish on your wood. I was good at following this rule too. Stir it once and put the stick in the trash. I can handle it.

But this last rule is one that nobody bothered to share with me - probably because it's just so obvious. When you are going to stain something, anything, wear gloves! This is especially important when you are using a rag to stain and not a brush. I did not know this was a good idea until it was too late, and by that time by hands were already well on their way to turning a very dark brownish black.

I can now tell you some things that do NOT get stain off your hands:

dish soap
lemon juice
bleach
ammonia
sos pad
boiling water
flaming fire

Ok, I didn't try everything single thing in that list, but nonetheless, those things don't work. If you are a dodo like me and happen to get stain all over your hands, then you better pray to God Almighty that you have some vegetable oil in your house, because that's all that's getting that nasty, sticky stuff off!

The cabinets are looking great though, so I guess it's worth it.

Pictures. Tomorrow. On it.